Some reminders for the students from Mr. Buti about the upcoming July 4th Parades in Arlington Heights & Rolling Meadows:
- Make sure to have your purple polo shirt, black dress pants (a polyester or rayon blend), a solid black belt, high black socks, and the black marching shoes.
- Shirts will be tucked in. Make sure that your pants are not too long and dragging on the ground. Even though this is a casual uniform, we still want to look professional and sharp!
- Do not wear jewelry, including earrings, or watches.
- Eat a light breakfast and drink plenty of water. Try to avoid caffeine, because it can dehydrate you. (Volunteers will provide doughnuts in the morning, and there will be volunteers walking with you to give you water.)
- Make sure to have your instrument or flag equipment.
- Make sure that your part is memorized for Salute to America! (Percussion also need to memorize the cadences.)
- Especially if you burn easily, wear plenty of sweat-proof sunscreen. (You might want to reapply between parades.)
|8:15 AM||Doors to band room open.|
|8:20 AM||Enjoy doughnuts and juice.|
|8:35 AM||Warm-ups begin.|
|8:45 AM||Marching run-throughs in the parking lot.|
|9:00 AM||Load buses (we will be taking 2 large buses).|
|9:10 AM||Leave for AH parade.|
|9:30 AM||Line up for parade (by St. Peters Church), finish warming up and tuning.|
|10:00 AM||Parade starts at corner of Dunton and Oakton and goes south to Miner, left on Miner to Hickory at Recreation Park.|
|10:35 AM||Load buses and return to RMHS.|
|10:50 AM||Unload buses, get water, go to bathroom, cool off, etc.|
|11:20 AM||Line up in RMHS parking lot for RM parade.|
|11:30 AM||Parade starts: goes left out of the lot and up Central to Owl; north on Owl to Kirchoff Road; Kirchoff Road east to the old Dominick’s parking lot|
|12:15 PM||Parade performance ends, load buses and return to RMHS.|
|12:25 PM||Put equipment away properly.|
We still need parents (or siblings) to help with picking up food-water-ice supplies, serving the early morning snack, passing out water to band members on the parade route. Please go to the Volunteer page to signup via the Music Boosters website or signup via Volunteer Spot.
The communities are very appreciative and excited about our participation in these parades. Not only do we represent the band program but RMHS and the cities our students come from. In addition, we are compensated by the organizations that host the parades. This money helps with the bus expenses. Also, these parades are a great way to get all of the new students involved in a performance.
Finally, the parades are a great way to kick off the 4th of July weekend! Thank you for your preparation, cooperation, and participation!
Mr. Buti, Director
If you have any questions or suggestions, please leave a comment on this post.
This is a map of the Arlington Heights and Rolling Meadows parade routes: