Oksana Lukaszewskyj, band director at South Middle School, asked that we post the following invitation:
Calling All Instrumental Musicians:
Young, Old, Pros & Music-Lovers!
The annual Arlington Heights Santa Run is this Saturday, December 2.
For the past several years, South Middle School band members, alums and friends form “The Polar Bear Club” for the day, playing Christmas carols in pep-band style to cheer on the “Santas” as they run past South.
Everyone is invited to be a member of the Polar Bear Club: Friends, family members and neighbors. Even if you do not play an instrument, you can still come and jingle & jangle along with the band. Sheet music will be provided.
Students who play for the Santa Run can also log community-service hours for groups like the National Honor Society and youth group programs. Be sure to bring the necessary forms for signature.
The Polar Bear Club will perform outside (thus the name), so please dress appropriately. All performers are encouraged to wear Santa hats, elf ears, reindeer antlers or any other holiday-themed head gear.
If you plan to play:
- Please bring your instrument to the South Middle School band room at 9 a.m., this Saturday, December 2, where there will be a brief rehearsal.
- Enter through the front doors at 400 S. Highland Street – the band room is on the second floor.
- Music will be distributed when you arrive at South.
- The Polar Bears will head outside and set up near the main entrance to South by 10 a.m., which is when the Santa Run begins. The first runners should begin passing SMS between 10:05 and 10:10 a.m.
- The Polar Bear Club will continue to play outside until the end of the race.
- When the last runners pass by, the group will return to the band room to put away the stands and equipment.
- After a group picture, candy canes will be available for everyone!
The estimated completion time is 11:30 a.m. but it could be sooner.
And if you are running in the race, please give us a shout out as you pass by South!
For more information, contact Oksana Lukaszewskyj at email@example.com.